The Philosophy Department at Northern Arizona University (NAU) invites applications for a non-tenure earning
Assistant Teaching Professor position. The position is in NAU’s newly established Teaching Track, which offers the opportunity for promotion to Associate Teaching Professor and to Full Teaching Professor. The position will begin August 21, 2023.
Area of Specialization: Environmental Ethics
Area of Competence: Open
Candidates must be qualified to teach Environmental Ethics at the 300-level as well as a 100-level Introduction to Ethics. Other responsibilities include mentoring students and service activities (performed in the department, the college, the university, and the local community). Ph.D., in philosophy or a related field, must be conferred by the starting date for the appointment. The Department prefers candidates that have an active research program. Northern Arizona University recognizes the importance and critical need for diversity, equity, and inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) to be woven throughout the institutional structure and we seek to hire individuals with a strong track record of engagement with DEIJ in their professional endeavors.
• Ph.D. in Philosophy or related field, completed by start date.
• Area of Specialization: Environmental Ethics.
• Qualified to teach 300-level courses in Environmental Ethics (demonstrated by, e.g., graduate coursework,
dissertation topic, publication record, or past teaching experience).
• Qualified to teach Introduction to Ethics (demonstrated by, e.g., graduate coursework, dissertation topic,
publication record, or past teaching experience).
• Active research program, including peer-reviewed publications.
• Demonstrated teaching excellence in a diverse university community.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Current Openings' links, locate vacancy 606809, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Complete the online application and attach the following required materials as pdf or Word documents:
• A cover letter explaining the candidate’s suitability for, and interest in, the position
• Curriculum vitae (including names and contact information for 3 references)
• Writing sample
• Teaching portfolio that includes syllabi, a teaching statement, and evidence of teaching excellence
• Diversity statement describing past experiences with (and/or potential for) teaching a diverse student body,
integration of DEIJ into research, and service activities that support diverse populations within the larger
community (750 word max.)
In addition, three letters of recommendation must be sent separately to Avi Callan at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
A page with job listings that may be of interest to graduate students and junior faculty involved with MAP.
Hiring departments: if you would like us to post about a job opening, please see our contact page.