Minorities and Philosophy (MAP) will be hiring one to two organizers to help direct MAP
MAP is a collection of graduate students in philosophy departments which aims to
examine and address barriers to equitable participation in academic philosophy. It comprises over 100 chapters worldwide and continues to grow.
The role of International Organizers is largely to facilitate the success of MAP chapters and
oversee the development of the larger organization. As such, responsibilities may include: conferencing regularly with other Organizers, making decisions on the growth of MAP regions and projects, coordinating with outside organizations (like the APA or funders), responding to chapter funding requests, updating the website and social media pages, collating lists of chapter activities, publishing newsletters and reports, touching base with chapter organizers, and more. Organizers receive a modest honorarium for their work.
The intended start date for this position is the Spring Semester 2024, though this is somewhat flexible. Selected organizers must start no later than summer 2024.
● Must be a current graduate student (MA or PhD).
● Must be able to be make a two-year commitment to the organizer position.
● Experience with local MAP chapter and/or MAP-related or MAP-adjacent outreach
● Additional organizing experience (e.g. with non-profit organizations, departmental service
responsibilities, etc.) is also a plus (please highlight in CV or statement of interest).
● MAP International oversees many chapters, events, and partnerships. Strong applicants will make clear how they construct and manage an organized workflow and balance their various commitments.
● Other valued skills include, but are by no means limited to, experience with graphic design, social media, managing institutional partnerships, listserv maintenance, email blasts, nonprofit fundraising.
Please submit a Statement of Interest and CV (as a single PDF) by December 1,
2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Organizer Application – [LastName, FirstName]’
Your statement of interest should be no longer 2 pages double-spaced. It should explain why
you are interested in the role of MAP International Organizer and why you fit the role well. It
should outline, if only briefly, the unique skills you would bring on to a team. You should also detail past involvement with MAP and other relevant experiences.
We will notify all applicants no later than Feb 1, 2024. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Updates on MAP and MAP-related happenings.
Please contact us here for suggestions, comments, or job postings.