The Marc Sanders Foundation deepens understanding through innovation in philosophy for a more informed world. In solidarity and support of other efforts advancing philosophy, the Marc Sanders Foundation identifies, seeds and builds programs that increase the visibility and inclusiveness of philosophy for today’s students and the next generation’s.
About the National High School Ethics Bowl (NHSEB):
Modeled on the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl, the National and Regional High School Ethics Bowls are competitive yet collaborative events in which students discuss real-life ethical issues. The National High School Ethics Bowl’s goal is to do more than teach students how to think through ethical issues – it is to teach students how to think through ethical issues together, as fellow citizens in a complex moral and political community.
In 2017 – 2018, 480 teams representing 335 schools participated in 33 regionals from September to March for their chance to compete in the national championship. The 6thannual National High School Ethics Bowl brought in the top 24 teams to UNC Chapel Hill on April 21stand 22nd.
About the Marc Sanders Foundation NHSEB / MAP Scholarship Program
Although the NHSEB has grown exponentially since its inception six years ago, many students are not able to participate due to limited resources. More than a third of participating schools have student bodies made up of at least 50% minority students, but there are still underserved and low-resourced regions in need of coaches, resources and regional competitions.
MAP students have demonstrated their engagement in civic-minded activities and community development programs – most of which are conducted as volunteers. In an effort to acknowledge, reward and incentivize continued MAP participation in communities, The Marc Sanders Foundation is offering grants up to $1,000 to MAP chapters that will commit to serving as NHSEB coaches for the 2018 – 19 Academic Year, with a special focus on underserved communities (e.g. inner-city schools, rural schools). The $1,000 will be directed towards all costs associated with NHSEB coaching (e.g. travel, materials) as well as a stipend for any NHSEB coach’s time.
In the first year of the NHSEB / MAP Scholarship Program, the Marc Sanders Foundation will be granting scholarships to up to 10 MAP chapters. We hope to both expand access to NHSEB competitions across the United States and pilot sustainable civic-engagement programs for MAP with these scholarships.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE WITH EMAIL TITLE “NHSEB/MAP APP” TO:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org
- The application deadline is 5:00 pm, Friday, June 20, 2018.
- Anticipated Award Notification: July 31, 2018
- What is your chapter’s specific goals for the 2018 – 19 Academic Year? How does this scholarship fit into your goals and why is your MAP chapter best positioned to make an impact with it?
- Please tell us about your chapter’s civic engagement and community development programs (e.g. number of active members, programs in which they participate, communities where programs run). Does your chapter have any ongoing elements?
- What methods do you use to evaluate the MAP chapter experience and the impact on MAP members and the community?
- Please tell us about your chapter’s ability so successfully accommodate an increase in MAP programs with NHSEB coaching (e.g. transportation, available and committed members, capacity to tele-coach). Do your existing members and resources have the capability to commit to engaging with high school students?
- What other fundraising plans are in place to support the ongoing success of your MAP chapters? Where do you receive the majority of your funding?
- How would it benefit your MAP chapter and the surrounding community to receive this grant?
Additional Required Attachments:
- 2018 – 2019 Academic Year Calendar
- One-page operating budget for the most recently completed academic year
Grant Period and Funding Schedule: The grant, if awarded, will begin August 1, 2018 and will conclude on June 1, 2018. A grant contract will be executed to govern the relationship between the Marc Sanders Foundation and the MAP chapter. The grant will be paid after receipt of the fully executed contract which will be due on August 1, 2018.
- The Marc Sanders Foundation will provide a NHSEB Coaching Guide to serve as a template for scholarship recipients
- MAP members will have to coach, at most, 1x per week during the academic year (with the exception of vacations)
- MAP members also have the opportunity to serve as Regional Organizers, a person or group of people who coordinate all logistics in order to successful run and host a Regional Competition.
- Depending on school needs, MAP members might have to serve as “tele-coaches” during the academic year in order to reach underserved regions and conduct practice sessions via Skype or video conference
- MAP members who serve as coaches need to be vetted and approved by school administration to compete in the Regional or National Bowl
Please direct any questions to: email@example.com