Elon University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor, beginning mid-August 2017. Elon University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and particularly welcomes applicants from underrepresented groups. We seek a candidate, Ph.D. in hand, whose teaching is organic to their philosophical life and would complement and enrich the Philosophy Department’s long-standing focus on innovative, engaged, praxis-oriented pedagogy. AOS or very strong AOC: Environmental Philosophy. 6 classes per year, typically includes 4 introductory level classes and 2 upper level classes (one or both within Environmental Philosophy, very broadly construed). Elon is a dynamic private, co-educational, comprehensive institution that is a national model for actively engaging faculty and students in teaching and learning. To apply, go to http://www.elon.edu/philosophyjob, where you will be asked to submit:
- a cover letter (which should include a statement of how you will help foster diversity and diverse learning within the department),
- a C.V.,
- a substantial statement of teaching philosophy and aspirations,
- a research statement,
- a teaching reflection (see web-site for details),
- a summary of teaching/course evaluations,
- two recent syllabi,
- three letters of recommendation, and
- the names and contact information for three current or former students who can act as references.
According to best practices for inclusive hiring, we ask that the cover letter, teaching statement, research statement, teaching reflection, and C.V. be prepared for anonymous review (see our website for more detailed instructions on anonymizing process). The first round of application evaluations will focus exclusively on the cover letter, teaching statement, research statement, teaching reflection and C.V. Applications are due by December 1, 2016.
If you have questions, please email Stephen Bloch-Schulman, the chair of the search committee (email@example.com).